by Shanna Hanson, NDVS/SB Transition Specialist
North Dakota Vision Services/School for the Blind provides transition services to students who are blind or visually impaired across North Dakota. Transition Specialist Shanna Hanson collaborates with local school districts to improve the transition process. She is available to attend IEPs and any other meetings so that a student’s entire team is aware of the services NDVS/SB provides before and after graduation. Shanna will make referrals and connections with other agencies so that the student can succeed in whatever path they follow. Transition matters!
Here are some ways your family can create opportunities for your transition-age child.
• Start now! It’s never too early or too late to start talking about post-graduation. Whatever the age, focus on what your child’s needs are.
• Learn about supports and services in your community.
• Create a plan: sit down with your child, other family members, friends, anyone who knows your child, and brainstorm together about the future.
• Teach a child to be an advocate for themselves. IEP meetings are a great place to practice those skills; allow them to lead these meetings.
• Be sure your child is learning social skills wherever opportunities arise – at home, school, church, etc.
• Picture a life for your child that you yourself would enjoy living. This means imagining your child as an adult living a “good life.” Start early and make it a reality.
Please contact Shanna Hanson, Transition Specialist at North Dakota Vision Services/School for the Blind for any transition needs. You can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 701-795-2708.