History

North Dakota Vision Services/School for the Blind has followed an interesting path to become the dynamic outreach/center-based programming agency that it is today. Below are some highlights from our history.

1908 North Dakota School for the Blind opens in Bathgate with 25 residential students
1961 Modern facility opens, with relocation to Grand Forks
1967 NDSB Band performs at the Multi-District Lions Convention in Regina, Saskatchewan; they end their visit with a "Command Performance" for Princess Alexandra, cousin of the Queen
1974 The school obtains its first piece of adaptive equipment--a talking calculator
1980 NDSB Pop Singers - accompanying themselves with electric guitars, bass, drums and keyboard - perform at the opening session of the Helen Keller Congress held in Boston on her 100th birthday
1980 NDSB begins an annual tradition of sending students to Close Up in Washington, D.C.
1991 NDSB becomes a division of the ND Department of Public Instruction
1994 State legislature changes programming focus to outreach model
1996 Major renovation converts former residence facility into instructional centers and offices
1997 State legislation enables operation of The Store to provide a convenient source of low-vision aids
1998 Major renovation converts former pool building to accommodate center-based programming needs
1999 Braille Access Center begins operation
2001 State legislature officially changes name to North Dakota Vision Services/School for the Blind
2001 Legislature clarifies mandate for NDVS/SB to serve persons of all ages
2008 Centennial Celebration of NDVS/SB
2012 Completed Buildings and Grounds Master Plan
2014 West Wing renovation and elevator installation in the South Wing